Browsed by
Month: January 2012

Newt Gingrich Wins South Carolina and Proves Despicability Wins

Newt Gingrich Wins South Carolina and Proves Despicability Wins

On Thursday night, the stupendously fatheaded philanderer New Gingrich, responded to CNN reporter John King’s question concerning an inteview with his second wife, Marianne Gingrich, during which she said he suggested they have an “open marriage.” I think the destructive, vicious, negative nature of much of the news media makes it harder to govern this country, harder to attract decent people to run for public office, and I am appalled that you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that. … Every…

Read More Read More

Colbert/Stewart Super PAC Ad: Mitt the Ripper

Colbert/Stewart Super PAC Ad: Mitt the Ripper

Speaking of corporations, Mitt Romney killed many of them, and that makes him a serial killer. The Colbert Report Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,Video Archive “So is Mitt Romney a serial killer? I don’t know. But that question’s out there now.” – Stephen Colbert It’s good to see that the Citizens United decision is finally being put to good use.

The Pale King: Corporations are Not People

The Pale King: Corporations are Not People

From pages 136 – 137 of David Foster Wallace’s posthumous novel, The Pale King, IRS agents discuss corporations and their responsibilities or lack thereof. ‘Corporations make the pie. They make it and we eat it.’ ‘It’s probably part of my naïveté, that I don’t want to put the issue in political terms when it’s probably irreducibly political. Something has happened where we’ve decided on a personal level that it’s all right to abdicate our individual responsibility to the common good…

Read More Read More

Iraq War Reckoning

Iraq War Reckoning

The last American units withdrew from Iraq at the end of 2011. Most of us breathed a sigh of relief while others believe it was premature to leave and that we’ll pay for it later. Who’s right? And what’s the final reckoning? In a nutshell I think our troops were magnificent, our politicians awful and our national security overall has been diminished.  And as for Iraq itself, we won’t know whether we set it on a new path to a…

Read More Read More

Rich and Not Rich on Jobs and Deficits

Rich and Not Rich on Jobs and Deficits

From the February 2012 Harpers’s Index: Average annual tax savings for member of the top 1 percent of earners under the Bush tax cuts:  $66,384 Average annual income for the other 99%:  $58,506 Factor by which an American is more likely to cite unemployment than deficit as the country’s “most important problem”: 3 Factor by which a wealthy American is more likely to cite the deficit than unemployment: 3 And there you have it.  The rich have been paying taxes…

Read More Read More

The Best Music of 2011

The Best Music of 2011

Okay so I am a couple weeks late getting this list posted for several reasons, but mainly because it’s so difficult to choose which twenty of the fifty-six 2011 albums I purchased belong on the list.  The top five are the albums I’ve listened to the most during the year, and two of the top five are by groups that don’t get anywhere near the attention they deserve, especially in the United States. 1. Capsula – In the Land of Silver Souls. …

Read More Read More